Friday, February 4, 2011

Homemade Baby Food 101


I opted to make my little lady's food for a number of reasons. #1 reason was the fact that I was actually able to, being that I am a "stay at home mama". Had I returned to the grueling 9-5, corporate world - I seriously DOUBT that I would have the time to do this. In addition, the health benefits were incredibly important - but so was the fact that if I wouldn't eat it, why would I expect her to? Jarred food is bland and totally lacking in the flavor department. I do understand the convenience of grabbing a jar, and am not here to cast judgement or claim to be "better" than anyone for choosing to make my daughter's food. I am offering my opinion, bits of fun info and a few yummy recipes. That's all :)


THE BENEFITS:

Making your own homemade baby food will ensure that what your child is eating is fresh, nutritious and free of additives. By making your own baby food, you'll be saving money. Also, you will have total control over what is put into your baby's food. You can therefore take the extra steps to ensure that only high quality foods are selected and used. You will be able to feed your baby according to his or her needs because you will know what foods are best suited for your baby from experience. 

Making your own baby food also ensures that your baby is exposed to a greater variety of tastes and textures. This will help your baby when making the transition to table foods and also help him or her develop healthy eating habits.


THE BOOKS.............

Don't be intimidated by the over abundance of cookbooks that you will find. I have to admit, I was. They all seem to be great, so it was really hard to pick. The deciding factor for me was a clear side note stating what age the specific recipe was designed and ok for. This is my first child so I've been rather cautious of this and that.


This is the book that I decided on - and it's been FABULOUS!! The recipes are AMAZING and EASY to follow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment